For the Cupcakes:
- 1 box of dark chocolate brownie mix (your choice of brand, I think I used Duncan Hines)
- Follow the preparation instructions on the box for the liquid ingredients, then add:
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon.
Mix well, pour into greased muffin cups, and bake according to box intstructions (I think I did a 325 degree for 25 minutes or so, but checked after 20)
For the frosting, you have two options. You can buy a canister of cream cheese frosting and add 1/2 tsp of cinnamon to it, or you can make your own:
- 1/2 brick of cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 stick of butter, softened
- 1 cup of confectioners sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Once your cupcakes are cooled, you can frost them. I like to use a piping bag so I can control the design, but you could just as easily spread the frosting on top with a knife. To decorate, sprinkle with some coarse sanding sugar, dark chocolate savings, some mini marshmallows (it is a hot chocolate style cupcake afterall!) and a sprinkle of cinnamon. I like how the cinnamon makes the marshmallows look sort of toasted.