|So satisfying, you don't realize it's low fat and low carb!|
Okay. So I haven't blogged for awhile. The hubs and I were on the Master Cleanse last week, and there is absolutely nothing about surviving on lemon juice, maple syrup, and cayenne that inspires you to post on a food blog, let alone do anything other than miss food.
I'm back now - and with a very crazy work and life schedule, the last few meals have been 'throw togethers' with no measurements. Sometimes, those throw togethers are the best - you just combine the things that you like, and more often than not, it comes out great.
Here's tonight's throw together, with my best guess at measurements!
Spicy Chipotle Carrot Soup
- 5 lb bag of carrots, peeled and rough chopped (don't worry about making it pretty - it all gets puréed in the end!)
- 1 red onion, rough chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Mexican Oregano
- 1.5 T Chipotle chili powder (the newest addition to my spice cabinet, and I love it! It's very spicy though, cut down if you don't want the heat)
- 1 T Pasilla chili powder
- 2 tsp ground Cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1.5 boxes of Swanson's vegetable broth
- 1 individual portioned container of nonfat Greek yogurt.
Add the carrots and all the spices, season with some more S&P and continue to sauté until very fragrant, about 3-5 minutes. Add the broth, cover the pot, and turn to medium low.
Let simmer until carrots are fork tender. When tender, use an immersion blender to purée the soup to a smooth mixture.
Taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary. Mix in the greek yogurt, and let simmer on low for 5 more minutes, or until ready to serve. If the soup is thicker than you like, just thin with some more broth, and let it heat through.
Serve with a dollop of greek yogurt on top if you like!
Bunless Turkey Burgers
- 1 package of ground turkey meat
- 2 tsp Pasilla chili powder
- 1 tsp Adobo seasoning
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 scant tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder.
I finished ours off with a little sprinkle of cheddar cheese, which always makes the hubs very happy. Serve over Slaw (recipe below) with a little Pico de Gallo, Guac (thank you Holy Guacamole!) and a dollop of plain greek yogurt or sour cream.
Red Cabbage & Cilantro Slaw
- 1/2 head of red cabbage, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 3 scallions, whites and half of the greens sliced
- 1 handful of cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 T light mayonnaise
- 3 T skim milk
- 1 T rice wine vinegar